lundi 13 mars 2017

[List II/32a] Hannibal's late Carthaginians

It is a Carthaginian army of the second Punic War. Scheduled for "big battle"

In simple DBA, it can be used as ally for my Greeks of Syracuse of the previous war.


The difficulty of list composition lies in the choices to be made between types of troops. By "folklore", I want to line up elephants but these were few in the epic of Hannibal in Italy, I will content myself with an elephant figurine.


Link to a site devoted to this historical character: click here.


  

In the big battle version, the composition of the army would give something like this:

3 Generals Cv
1 Gallic cavlry Cv
1 Iberian cavalry Cv
5 Numidians LH
1 Elephant El
9  Libyo-phenician spearmen Sp 
4 Gauls 4Ax
4 Iberians 4Ax
1 Ligures 4Ax
3 African javelinmen Ps
3 Balearic slingers Ps



 
A  classical army, based on the complementarity of troops with little originality, except the colorful outfits. The only feature is the presence of disciplined Gauls (4Ax).


I do not yet know how to represent the elephant: with or without a tower. The tower is the classical representation. The latter rests on a statuette found in Pompeii (several centuries after the epic of Hannibal) and supposed to represent a Carthaginian elephant. Source very fragile. There is increasingly the hypothesis of a simple naked elephant straddled by his only mahout or even a fighter or astride (s) astride.



I already have two plates of Iberians / Celtiberians and a plate of Ligures. I use these figurines as mercenaries for my Syracusans. If my Carthaginian project were to be realized, they would join the ranks of Hannibal's army.

Ligurians
Iberians